Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2008

Hybrid cars/fuel hike

Americans chose to buy hybrid cars for several reasons, 1. reduce foreign oil dependency, 2. technology sake (for the techno buffs), 3. Of course for the environment.

Toyota sells about 1 million hybrid cars a year and Honda is not far behind with several hundred thousand of it.

While I'm also one of the unhappy driver about the recent fuel hike: I could not applaud that this might also be the time where we learn how to be more green. I receive countless email and messages from friends with tips on how to save fuel usage. For example, some might say buy things in bulk and plan your trips before you go out. To me its a big plus to mother nature as we should already be doing it. The fuel hike just encouraged more people to do so to save money as well with the recent announcement of increase of electricity charges . So more people will turn off fans/air con/tv etc when not in used. The government has already pledged to improve the public transportation system (i know, they have mentioned it many times and yet it still pathetic) and this time the people will ensure that the Government sticks to its promises.

Being green in many other ways will also save money. Usually when we complain its when the issue hits us in the face. Many do not realize there are many issues connecting to the environment that will affect us someway in the future. I am still waiting for the ruling to charge for plastic bags, China has already started, Australian are doing it, Taiwanese will look at you in disbelief if you ask for one and charge you for it and even realistic Hongkies are going it.

I used to dream about buying certain cars. Now I want a hybrid: never mind if I would be joining the many first in Malaysia; never mind if skeptics say I might be experiencing problems, never mind if Honda Civic has the only the hybrid in town (think so heehee), I think its worth it even if it starts from only ME.

No comments: