Search This Blog

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Flop: Rojak

Not exactly a flop but its nothing surprising. Armed with the latest recipe from my recent health camp. I attempt to recreate some of the dishes. One of them is the rojak. To prove how much I want to do this dish right, I even slowly toasted the white sesames and cashew nuts on the wok. Its not like a toasted oven where u can just easily slip in the tray containing the intended toasted material rather its a strenuous work where u have to stand on the heated warm work and stir it non stop. Any mistakes or arm tiredness might result in your hard work going down to drain.

To me its like my early journey towards being a competent cook.

One of my strength as well as my weakness that I like being spontaneous which result in forgetting my pumpkin seeds with my white sesame and cashew nuts, no nice semi ripe papaya cubes, no masam green mangoes and no juicy turnips. All I had was green and red apples, Japanese cucumbers, pineapples and more Japanese cucumbers. Oh and my kasturi limes did not work as well as it should or its masam power was not enough, resulting in me throwing in some apple cider and worst; plum sauce.

No one complained about the rojak. One friend evn said it was nice when half of what she ate was the white sesame and the toasted cashew nuts.

Oh well, the competent cook to be still has a long journey to go.

No comments: