Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2008

for ONCE


A movie that was said inspired Steven Spielberg for an entire year?

While we are constantly bombarded with fluffy romance greatly played up by movies, books and to certain extent advertising. We may say we are victim or we can say we are emotional lots.

Being out with bf watching the usual blockbusters like Indy Jones, Ironman (which was great by the way), I need to satisfy my basic urge to have a real decent movie that will actually make me believe in it, touch my 5 senses and make me feel that amidst all my chaos, a movie can actually make me feel alive.

Well, well, I was greeted by my expectation with this movie. Spoilt by two Asian love movies ,I was waiting for another love movie that requires no sex, hardly any kisses or even hugging. ONCE a small budget Irish movie is something I found that connect tear jerking movies such as my favourites "The Love Letter" (Jap) &
"The Road Home "(A zhang Ziyi debut movie).

Go find and watch it and let it taunt you with inexperience leads that ended up together after the filming. Moreover, the musics make it a worthwhile trip to the cinema as the two leads write them and won an Oscar for the main song "Falling Slowly".

"Amazon.com
Winner of the World Audience Award at Sundance, Once starts out as a small-scale romance, like Before Sunrise, before arriving somewhere unexpected. An Irish busker (Glen Hansard, the Frames and The Commitments) meets a Czech flower seller (Markéta Irglová) while singing on the streets of Dublin. (In the credits, they're listed as Guy and Girl.) She likes what she hears and lets him know. Turns out she's a musician, too. They work on a few songs together and a friendship is forged. She lives with her widowed mother, who doesn't speak English. He lives with his widowed father, who owns a repair shop. Since he broke up with his girlfriend, the guy has been drifting, unable and unwilling to get his life in order. The girl encourages him to pursue a record deal, and the guy emerges from his funk. Then he makes a move on the girl, who rejects his advances. He's confused, but as he comes to find, there's a reason she’s keeping her distance. Though Once is filled with appealing folk-pop by Hansard and Irglová (released on CD as The Swell Season), the movie isn't a traditional musical, but rather a more optimistic Brief Encounter. Filmmaker John Carney, Hansard's former bandmate, captures the real city--in all its affluence and poverty--rather than the picture postcard version. His beautifully shot film serves as a heartfelt ballad about all the underclass Guys and Girls swept aside amidst Ireland's economic miracle. --Kathleen C. Fennessy
"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing movies here too...
i'm definitely crazy about not watching movies in cinema for almost half a year!

wish i can get to catch up with those nice movies too...
share more with us ya~^_^

Reese said...

sure... i think I will go berserk if I don't have movies nutrition at all in a month. But usually I share movies which are least watched by the masses however my schedule nowadays only permits me to go to the nearest cinema...sigh...