Mom in Law (MIL) just bought an awesome juicer, you can check out the cool machine here, hence my plans to frequently have juices for the baby started.
Previously, I have to rely on visiting organic outlets to get my fixes as I was too lazy to do it with our previous juices. I would rather snack on fruits to get the enzymes and nutrients.
Some fruits I was constantly snacked on were oranges (for its folate), apples, plums (thirst quencher) and cherries (MIL loves buying these for my niece, and I got lucky have these and plums as regular in our fridge.
As for juices, we just started a day ago, so yesterday I was having green apples and carrots while hubby and in laws they get to enjoy semi ripe papayas with papayas.
Today, we all had guavas juices, yummy.
As I was reading up on fruits for juicing, semi ripe papayas are not recommended for pregnant women as it softens the cervix which will induce labour.
Some fruits I am really itching to try but would not dare are like pineapples (recommended in certain books but seems to have the same effects as semi ripe papayas)and watermelons as the Chinese claims these are cooling fruits. But in various
western publications, these 2 fruits seemed to be encouraged.
Some fruits and vegetables I am looking forward for juicing are (apples and carrots will be the staples):
1. spinach: to juice with apples and carrots. Of course it can drunk by itself, the spinach is rich in various minerals such as Calcium, phosphorus etc, vitamins ( Bs, C, K, A, amino acids and irons.
2. Beets: also to juice with apples and carrots. Beets are rich in calcium, potassium, iron, copper, and folic acid. Its also a sweet vegetables to sweeten your juice. We frequently boiled beets with corn, carrots and various herbs for soups as well.
3. oranges: for its folate, folate folate and Vit C. It also tastes good la with its sweet sourish taste, its a favourite amongst many pregnant women.
4. Kiwis- and lemons. Vitamin C!
5. Guavas- The fact is a local fruit, easily available and it helps with constipation.
I would love to add more berries to my juices but the prices aren't that affordable in this side of the world. Strawberries are also one of the plants that have more pesticides.
Just a little note, if you are diabetic, you have to avoid more fruit juices even carrots as juices though naturally juiced, contain high concentrate of sugar. For enzymes and fibre, top your diet with salads.